If you were exposed to paraquat, you could later contract one of the diseases that paraquat is associated with, including Parkinson’s disease. Additionally, you could suffer from paraquat poisoning, which affects you almost immediately after exposure.
If you accidentally ingested paraquat, it could kill you. If you lost a loved one because of paraquat ingestion or exposure, you should file a paraquat lawsuit.
If you suffered from paraquat poisoning but recovered, you could contract a disease later in life.
Finally, if you were exposed to paraquat and have been diagnosed with a disease associated with paraquat, you could recover medical expenses and other damages, with the help of our Wisconsin product injury lawyers or Minnesota Product liability lawyers.
Injuries Caused by Paraquat
If you ingest a large amount of paraquat, you will most likely have mouth and throat swelling, nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting, and diarrhea, which could be bloody. The gastrointestinal symptoms could lead to dehydration, low blood pressure, and electrolyte abnormalities. It is often fatal. A sip is enough to kill you.
After a few days, you could notice symptoms such as confusion, acute kidney failure, a fast heart rate, coma, liver failure, heart injuries, severe and/or acute lung scarring, pulmonary edema, muscle weakness, respiratory failure, and seizures.
If you ingest a small amount, you could suffer from heart failure, liver failure, kidney failure, and lung scarring. If you survive paraquat poisoning, you could have long-term lung scarring, problems with your heart and kidneys, esophageal stricture, and Parkinson’s disease.
You could also be poisoned by paraquat if you get enough of it on your skin. Even if you spill it on your clothing, you could suffer from symptoms caused by exposure.
Secondary Paraquat Injuries
If paraquat creates open wounds in the form of bleeding rashes, those wounds could become infected, leading to additional medical expenses and possibly amputation. Always tell your doctor that you were or might have been exposed to paraquat if you see a rash that you cannot explain after walking through places where farmers might have used the chemical, such as orchards, pastures, and fields of vegetables.
Additionally, some people could suffer from depression because of paraquat injuries if their illnesses cause the inability to work and provide for their families, or the seriousness of the illnesses or disease that paraquat causes.
Take the First Steps
If you suspect you have long-term issues because of paraquat, your first step is to document your case. See your doctor to determine what is wrong and the potential causes. Once you obtain a diagnosis, you can start any available treatment or therapies, and you can contact a paraquat lawyer to discuss recovering damages.
If you lost a loved one because of paraquat poisoning, you should also contact an experienced paraquat attorney—you might have a wrongful death case. Recovering damages for paraquat poisoning provides some financial stability for you, especially if you have ongoing medical expenses or if you lost a loved one to paraquat poisoning.
Finding a Paraquat Lawyer
Not any personal injury lawyer can represent your interests in a paraquat lawsuit. The firm you choose should have experience in settling or litigating lawsuits where people suffered illnesses, diseases, and death because of dangerous chemicals. Preferably, the attorney you choose should have experience with paraquat settlements or cases.
Some factors to look for when locating a paraquat attorney include:
- The firm offers free, no-obligation consultations.
- At least one attorney has extensive experience in handling paraquat cases or other cases involving poisonous chemicals.
- The attorney has been successful in settling and litigating paraquat cases.
- You feel comfortable when speaking to the attorney and his / or her staff.
- Staff and attorneys are helpful and do not treat you like you are beneath them.
Finding an attorney that you feel comfortable with is the second most important feature after experience. If you do not feel comfortable with the attorney, communication will be poor or will completely fail, which is not good for your case.
Recovering Damages After Paraquat Exposure or Poisoning
If you suffered from paraquat poisoning that caused long-term health issues or you lost a loved one because of paraquat exposure or ingestion, you could recover damages including:
Special damages, often referred to as economic damages, have a monetary value and include:
- Medical expenses for any illness or disease related to paraquat, including physical therapy, occupational therapy, and cognitive and other psychological therapies. You could also recover future medical expenses if doctors expect you to have ongoing appointments and treatment for Parkinson’s disease, heart and lung issues, and kidney failure.
- Lost wages for the time that you cannot work because of paraquat poisoning or because of the long-term symptoms of paraquat poisoning. Lost wages include future loss of earning capacity if doctors expect your symptoms, illnesses, and diseases to be long-term or permanent.
- Funeral, burial, and/or cremation expenses if you lost a loved one due to paraquat poisoning or a disease caused by paraquat.
General damages, often referred to as non-economic damages, do not have a monetary value and include:
- Pain and suffering, including emotional distress.
- Loss of quality of life if you have to take medications, use ambulatory aids, or have other significant changes because of paraquat poisoning for the rest of your life.
- Loss of companionship if you can no longer enjoy family activities and events.
- Loss of consortium if you can no longer have a physical relationship with your spouse.
- Loss of use of a body part or bodily function caused by paraquat or symptoms of a disease such as Parkinson’s disease.
- Inconvenience if you have to hire someone to do the chores you normally do, such as grocery shopping, lawn maintenance, house cleaning, and home maintenance and repair.
If you suffered injuries because of paraquat poisoning or you have long-term illnesses, a disease, or disabilities because of paraquat exposure, speak with an experienced product liability attorney for a free case evaluation.