It is easy for an injury victim to feel overwhelmed and powerless. Some daily events leave people suffering life-altering injuries, including roadway accidents, workplace accidents, and dog bites. Unfortunately, some families suffer the loss of a loved one due to the action or inaction of a third party. Reach out to a Williston personal injury lawyer.
Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers, a North Dakota personal injury firm, is committed to helping clients deal with the stress of filing claims and getting compensation for their injuries and losses. We understand that when a family has lost a loved one, no money can compensate for that loss. However, we also understand that the family should not face financial ruin when losing a loved one.
Why Hire Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers
Our focus is on victims. We ensure accountability when someone suffers an injury or damages because of the actions or inaction of a third party.
We are committed to meeting these goals:
- Representing the interest of our clients
- Ensuring we obtain a fair settlement for our clients
- Providing open and clear communication to each client
- Personalized attention to every client
- In-person or virtual meetings
- Consultations always free
We know you must focus on your physical and emotional recovery following a loss or an injury, so we handle all legal issues for you while always protecting your rights.
Contact Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers if you or a loved one has suffered an injury or loss because of the negligence of another party. We serve clients across Williston and neighboring communities.
How Much Compensation Can Personal Injury Victims Expect?
When someone suffers an injury in Williston, they want to know what compensation they can expect if they move forward with a claim or lawsuit. We frequently deal with this challenging question at Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers because every case is unique. There is no simple answer to this question.
Factors that will determine how much compensation a victim can seek to include:
- Age and health of the victim. Age and health often play a role in the overall compensation. However, sometimes victims hesitate to contact an attorney because of age or health. Always remember an attorney can help all victims determine whether to file a claim, regardless of any factors which may impact their claim.
- Type of injury the victim suffered. When someone suffers a severe injury such as a traumatic brain injury, paralysis, amputation, or a crushing injury, they can likely get more compensation. This does not mean a victim should not seek compensation for less severe injuries. They should just harbor realistic expectations about the available compensation.
- Out-of-pocket costs. Every accident victim must pay some out-of-pocket costs, including medical, prescription drug, repair, and other costs. A family who loses a loved one after an accident will face unexpected funeral and burial expenses, often out of pocket.
- Impact of injury on quality of life. North Dakota workers often face life-altering injuries when hurt on the job. The overall impact of an injury on a victim’s life is also considered when filing a compensation claim.
When an injury victim works with Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers, they can feel confident that we will not give up until we get the maximum compensation for their injuries and losses.
The Uniqueness of Williston, North Dakota
Currently, Williston is home to approximately 33,000 people. Each household owns two motor vehicles, and the average commute is 15 minutes. More than 14,000 automobile accidents statewide resulted in 4,258 injuries and 100 fatalities in one recent year.
North Dakota also has a robust tourism industry, with more than 22 million people visiting annually. This can lead to additional roadway accidents, resulting in serious injuries or death.
The inability to adjust to the weather certainly increases the number of accidents. However, slip, fall, and other accidents can also result in serious injury. Slip and fall accidents can occur in parking lots of shopping centers, retail establishments, or other facilities because of poor maintenance.
The most common work Williston residents perform is in the construction and extraction fields. Unfortunately, these professions have some of the most on-the-job injuries.
Victims of personal injury must be aware of the time limits imposed by state law. Per Title 28, Ch. 1, Secs. 28-01-16 and 28-01-18 of the North Dakota Code, victims of a personal injury claim have six years to file a claim. However, a family member who wishes to file a wrongful death claim against the responsible party must do so within two years of losing a loved one.
Common Accidents and Injuries in North Dakota
Williston is one of many cities and towns in North Dakota. Like every city and town, no single type of accident results in an injury.
Victims or their families may seek compensation after:
- Roadway accidents. Car, truck, motorcycle, pedestrian, and bicycle accident victims can seek compensation for their injuries. North Dakota is a no-fault insurance state, meaning victims must meet specific criteria to hold the at-fault driver accountable.
- Dog bites and attacks. Like many states, North Dakota has a one bite rule, which means that if a dog's owner has a reason to believe the dog has the propensity to attack or bite, the owner must properly restrain the dog. However, even in the case of an initial bite, the owner may still be liable for any losses a victim has suffered.
- Workplace accidents. When someone is injured on the job, their first step is to file a worker’s compensation claim. Unfortunately, these claims are often wrongfully denied or delayed.
- Defective products. A defective appliance may cause injury. Some people get involved in a car accident because of a faulty braking system or lose a finger or limb because of faulty machinery. These victims should seek compensation for the negligence of the company responsible for their injury or illness.
An attorney can help victims regardless of the accident or injury someone has suffered. When a victim suffers an injury that results in a loss of income, personal property damage, or other damages, contact Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers for a free consultation.
Unfortunately, accidents, animal attacks, and defective products cause many injuries and illnesses.
Some of the types of injuries which a victim may suffer include:
- Back and neck injuries
- Broken bones
- Crushing injuries
- Wrongful death
- Internal injuries
- Loss of hearing
- Loss of vision
- Scars and disfigurement
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
Any injury will have an impact on a victim and their family. During a victim's recovery, family members must learn to adjust to their loved one being in pain, undergoing treatment, and dealing with stress.
Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers are here to help victims get the compensation they deserve when they have suffered an injury through no fault of their own. We understand the entire family’s financial future is in jeopardy when an accident victim has to stay out of work while recovering from their injuries.
Fighting the Insurance Company After an Injury
Insurance companies have contracts with their clients. The client pays a premium, and the insured files a claim under their policy. Sounds fair. However, the reality is often much different.
Insurance companies make money when they do not pay claims. Their source of income is premiums. When forced to pay a claim, the insurance company must use those premiums to pay the claim. The insurance company and its policyholders have two different goals in this situation. The policyholder wants compensation for their losses, and the insurer wants to protect their bottom line.
Here are some of the issues that a victim may face when dealing with insurers:
- Calling soon after an accident. The insurer often uses this tactic to talk with a victim before they can contact an attorney and have a complete picture of their injuries. Use caution when contacted by an insurance adjuster. They may seem friendly but never forget they work for the insurance company and want to minimize your claim.
- Demanding a recorded statement. Victims are not obligated to provide an insurer with a recorded statement. Doing so without speaking with a Williston personal injury lawyer is not a good idea.
- Request medical authorization. Insurance companies love to ask for medical information from a victim. Contrary to what a victim may think, the insurer will use the information in their medical records to see if there may be ways to fight against claims of pain and suffering or to argue that the treatment they are receiving is unrelated to the accident.
- Offer of a quick settlement. The more serious an injury, the more likely an insurance company will offer victims a quick settlement. However, these settlements come with a hidden feature. When a victim accepts a settlement, the insurance company secures a release of their claim. Ultimately what could happen is if a victim incurs additional costs or losses as a result of their injury, they are on their own. Once a settlement is accepted, the insurance company is off the hook for any future losses.
- Delaying or denying a claim. Sometimes, insurance companies delay responding to a claim or deny the claim outright. This tactic often results in the victim giving up and not seeking the compensation they may be entitled to for their injuries and losses.
- Misrepresentation of a claim. The insurance company may inform a victim they may only recover specific compensation and may exclude pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment, and other non-compensatory damages. This common tactic gets victims to accept less than they deserve.
- Advising against hiring a lawyer. Insurers are often the first to advise a victim against hiring an attorney. They may tell victims it will slow the claims process and cost too much to involve an attorney. Neither is the truth, but the insurer will try this anyway.
As a personal injury law firm in Williston, Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers know what tactics insurers will use. None of them are meant to benefit victims of personal injury. Not only do we work tirelessly on behalf of victims, we make sure our clients understand their legal rights.
What to Do Following an Injury
All injury victims must seek medical attention. Too often, victims initially think they are not injured seriously enough to seek medical care. However, failure to seek medical attention could have profound health implications and jeopardize victims' ability to seek compensation for their injuries.
Once a victim has sought medical care, they should pay attention to signals their body sends them that something else may be wrong. Sometimes, it could take several days after an accident before the signs of an injury display themselves. Before an accident victim files an insurance claim, they should gather the available information and ask for legal advice from an experienced personal injury attorney in Williston, ND.
Contact Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers
If you suffered an injury in a car accident, on the job, or because of a defective product, contact our offices immediately to set up your free consultation. Families who have lost a loved one in any accident should contact Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers to find out if they can file a wrongful death claim.
Money will never make up for the loss of a loved one, nor will it make up for the trauma of suffering an injury. However, your family should not face a financial setback because of an injury or loss of a loved one when someone else was at fault for the injury or death. Contact Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers today at 1-855-NICOLET for your free consultation to learn about your legal rights and options.
Nicolet Law- Williston Office
125 Main Street Unit 216
Williston, ND 58801