Partner With an Experienced Madison Personal Injury Attorney for Your Personal Injury Case
Although Madison is a beautiful city with a lot to offer, any number of scenarios can cause accidents that injure you or claim the life of a close family member. You could slip and fall on a puddle while visiting the Olbrich Botanical Gardens or Henry Vilas Zoo or trip over items in the aisles at Woodman’s Food Market or East Towne Mall.
Of course, Madison has many busy roads throughout the city, including I-90, South Park Street, and the Iron Brigade Memorial Highway. You could be involved in a car, truck, or motorcycle accident, or a negligent driver could strike you as you ride your bicycle or walk across the street.
No matter the reason, if you suffered injuries or lost a loved one due to someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing, a Madison personal injury attorney can help you obtain compensation. Your options will depend on the nature of the accident, the severity of your injuries, and other factors, but you will face a complex and challenging process of recovering compensation from the at-fault party.
When you have questions, reach out to the dedicated Madison personal injury attorneys at Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers Accident & Injury Lawyers for help. We have successfully fought for thousands of injured clients throughout Wisconsin and we are ready to help you get the full and fair compensation you deserve. Contact us today at (608) 467-0429 for a free consultation.
- Partner With an Experienced Madison Personal Injury Attorney for Your Personal Injury Case
- Why Choose Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers for Your Personal Injury Case?
- What Types of Accidents Do Our Madison Personal Injury Lawyers Handle?
- What Typical Injuries Can Result From Madison Personal Injury Accidents?
- How Can a Madison Personal Injury Attorney Recover Compensation for My Injuries?
- What Types of Compensation Can I Receive?
- What Should I Do After a Personal Injury Accident in Madison?
- Madison Personal Injury FAQs
- Contact an Experienced Madison Personal Injury Attorney Today
Why Choose Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers for Your Personal Injury Case?
Founded in 2007, Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers has achieved unprecedented success fighting for injured clients throughout our region. We have law offices in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and North Dakota, and our lawyers have gained a reputation for providing trusted, affordable, and effective representation that gets results.
Over the years, we have recovered tens of millions of dollars in total compensation for our clients. Some of our recent successes include:
- $2.6 million verdict for a premises liability claim
- $1.2 million settlement for a child who suffered severe burns in a car accident
- $1.1 million settlement for an auto accident survivor
- $1.12 million settlement for a pedestrian accident
Additionally, our lawyers have secured many other settlements and verdicts in excess of $1 million. While we cannot guarantee the amount of compensation you might, we can promise to fight for you throughout the process to increase your chances of getting the most favorable outcome.
Our attorneys have the drive, dedication, and experience to handle your claim efficiently, and we are always here for you when you need us. You can count on us for compassionate, personalized representation, and we will handle all aspects of your claim and deal with the insurance companies for you, so you can focus on your recovery.
What Types of Accidents Do Our Madison Personal Injury Lawyers Handle?
Whenever someone sustains injuries through another party’s carelessness, recklessness, or intentional misconduct, Wisconsin law allows the injured party to seek compensation from the responsible people.
This is the basis of personal injury law, and here at Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers, we handle many personal injury cases, including:
Motor Vehicle Accidents
Madison motor vehicle accidents are among the most common reasons people file personal injury claims.
The most common types of motor vehicle accidents include:
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Commercial truck accidents
- Uber, Lyft, and rideshare accidents
- Drunk driving accidents
- UTV/ATV accidents
Motor vehicles can also include ATVs and other specialty vehicles, and accident victims can also sustain injuries in boating and aviation crashes. Motor vehicles can also cause pedestrian and bicycle accidents, which usually result in severe injuries to the unprotected victim.
In many cases, careless or reckless drivers cause motor vehicle accidents. The following factors are the most common causes of Madison wrecks:
- Driving distracted
- Driving while intoxicated
Bad weather can even causes motor vehicle accidents if motorists don’t adjust their speed and distance to account for the conditions. Defective vehicle components that fail lead to many motor vehicle accidents each year, and you might be able to hold the manufacturer liable for your injuries if a faulty car part caused your crash and injuries.
Premises Liability Accidents
Premises liability accidents refer to injury incidents on someone else’s property because the property owner did not maintain safe conditions for visitors. This can include commercial property, such as retail stores, restaurants, and supermarkets, as well as residential property.
Most commonly, Madison premises liability claims arise from hazards that the property owner knew about or should have known about and taken steps to resolve but didn’t. When someone is injured by these hazards, the property owner or manager may be held liable.
Some examples include:
- Wet or slippery floors or surfaces
- Frayed or torn carpeting
- Upturned rugs
- Cracks in the floor or pavement
- Broken handrails
- Uneven ground
- Insufficient lighting
- Obstacles on the ground
Other incidents, such as swimming pool accidents and dog bites, fall under premises liability laws. In the case of dog bites, the attack doesn’t have to occur on the dog owner’s property. If a dog bites you anywhere in Madison, you could bring a claim to hold the dog owner liable for your damages.
Product Liability Accidents
Product design or manufacturing defects can injure or kill unsuspecting consumers. When this occurs, injured parties may file product liability claims against the product’s manufacturer and, in some cases, other entities responsible for bringing the product to market.
Many product liability claims become class actions when multiple product users suffer injuries or losses related to the product.
Specific industries, like construction, are inherently dangerous, but people can suffer injuries no matter where they work. Injured employees can often file workers’ compensation claims that provide medical and wage benefits.
Although employees typically cannot sue their employers if they receive workers’ compensation benefits, some circumstances may allow the injured worker to file a third-party liability claim. For example, if a faulty machine part at work caused your injuries, you may seek compensation from the device’s manufacturer in addition to workers' compensation benefits from your employer.
Or, if someone who was not an employee of the company caused your injuries, such as a negligent delivery driver, you could seek compensation from the driver and possibly their employer as well.
If a close family member lost their life because of someone else's negligence, you may be entitled to bring a wrongful death claim against the responsible party. Wisconsin law allows certain family members of deceased accident victims to file wrongful death claims to recover compensation. Allowable damages can cover end-of-life medical expenses, funeral and burial costs, loss of consortium, and loss of the income the decedent contributed to the household, among other financial losses.
What Typical Injuries Can Result From Madison Personal Injury Accidents?
Any accident can cause serious injuries that require considerable medical treatment and result in high medical bills and time off work.
Some of the most common injuries we help people obtain compensation for at Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers include:
- Broken bones
- Deep cuts and extensive road rash
- Head injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Back and neck injuries
- Spinal cord damage
- Crushing injuries
- Amputation injuries
- Internal bleeding and organ damage
- Soft tissue injuries
Along with physical injuries, people often suffer from psychological issues following an accident, both from the trauma of the event itself and dealing with their pain and loss afterward. As a result, injured victims often experience depression, anxiety, loss of enjoyment of life, and other mental and emotional distress. They can also experience PTSD and severe personality disorders.
Some injuries result in permanent disabilities that create financial hardships as victims try to get the treatment they need to accommodate their injuries, especially if their injuries keep them from working. In the worst cases, victims die from their injuries, creating financial hardship for those they leave behind in addition to the grief of losing a loved one.
How Can a Madison Personal Injury Attorney Recover Compensation for My Injuries?
To obtain compensation for the injuries someone else caused, you must first seek medical attention and get treatment for your injuries. There are two very important reasons to seek care immediately:
- You must ensure you are safe and well and obtain the medical care you need.
- You will need documentation that you suffered an injury to file a personal injury claim.
Then, contact our Madison personal injury attorneys as soon as you can. Our lawyers have the legal knowledge to assess your case and determine if you qualify for compensation and how much. We can gather the necessary evidence and file the paperwork with the insurance company, so you don’t have to.
When the insurance company receives your claim, an adjuster will investigate the matter and determine whether they will cover your injuries and, if so, how much they will offer. If the offer is too low to cover your anticipated expenses, our attorneys can negotiate with the insurer for a more reasonable payment.
You must follow your medical treatment plan to the letter and not skip any appointments or stop too soon. If you vary from the plan, the insurance company could use that against you to deny or reduce your claim.
If your attorney cannot reach a fair settlement or the insurer acts in bad faith regarding your claim, your lawyer may advise you to file a lawsuit against them in civil court to get the money you need. Your attorney can handle all areas of the process and build a strong case for you. They can also represent you in court and present a compelling case to convince the judge or jury to award you the compensation you deserve.
What Types of Compensation Can I Receive?
The types of compensation you may be eligible to receive for your injuries can vary depending on the circumstances of your case and Wisconsin’s personal injury laws.
In general, you can pursue compensation for:
- Medical expenses. This includes reimbursement for past and future medical treatment, hospital bills, surgeries, medications, rehabilitation, therapy, and other healthcare costs related to your injuries.
- Lost income. If your injuries caused you to miss work or affected your ability to earn income, you may seek compensation for lost income and potential future loss of earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering. This is compensation for the physical and emotional pain, suffering, and inconvenience your injuries have caused and will continue to cause. These damages may include chronic pain, emotional distress, anxiety, depression, or loss of enjoyment of life.
- Property damage. If the incident damaged your personal property, such as a vehicle in a car accident, you may receive compensation to repair or replace it.
- Loss of consortium. Sometimes, you may seek compensation for the loss of companionship, support, or intimacy. These damages commonly arise in wrongful death claims and other claims involving injuries that affected your relationship with your spouse or family.
- Punitive damages. In rare cases involving particularly reckless or intentional actions, the court may award punitive damages to punish the wrongdoer and deter similar behavior.
The availability and amount of compensation will depend on the severity of your injuries, the impact on your life, the strength of your case, and the amount of insurance coverage available. A personal injury attorney will explain what compensation you may receive based on your situation.
What Should I Do After a Personal Injury Accident in Madison?
Following a Madison accident with injuries, first, get the medical treatment you need. Even if your injuries appear minor, you still need a prompt medical evaluation. You also want to protect your right to pursue compensation from the at-fault parties.
If possible, at the accident scene, contact authorities immediately. Call 911, report the accident, and notify the dispatcher of any injuries so they can send an ambulance. When the police arrive, they will investigate the accident and create a report. The accident report will contain facts about the accident along with the officer’s opinion of who or what caused it.
Gather as much evidence as possible at the accident scene if you can. Take photos or videos of the accident location, property damage, and visible injuries. Collect contact information from any witnesses present. Also, get the insurance information of the at-fault driver and any other drivers involved or the property insurance information if the incident occurred on someone’s premises.
What You Should Not Do
Avoid saying or doing anything that could jeopardize your chances of obtaining compensation. For example:
- Do not apologize or say you're sorry for the accident, as this may imply you feel guilty for causing the accident even though you didn’t.
- Do not offer additional information about the accident other than the basic facts.
- Do not provide a recorded or written statement to the insurance company without consulting an attorney. In fact, never say anything at all to the insurer and refer all questions to your lawyer.
Remember that anything you say or do can come back to haunt you. Do not post to social media about the accident or your injuries or give the defendant or insurance company any ammunition to blame you for your injuries or minimize your losses.
Madison Personal Injury FAQs
How Long Do I Have to File a Personal Injury Lawsuit?
Wisconsin allows you three years from your injury to file a lawsuit in civil court against those responsible. While this may seem like a long time, it’s not. Your attorney must compile a lot of evidence and paperwork to support your personal injury claim. You have no time to lose, so don't wait to contact a Madison personal injury attorney and get the process started.
Should I Accept an Insurance Company’s Settlement?
You do not have to accept any settlement an insurer offers you. It's best to review all offers with your attorney. You'll need to fully document your injuries and identify and calculate the compensation you will need now and in the future.
If you accept a settlement, you cannot pursue additional compensation later. Therefore, work with your lawyer to determine how much you need overall and negotiate to get the maximum amount possible.
How Much Is My Madison Injury Case Worth?
Numerous factors go into determining compensation, such as the severity of your injuries, the extent of your damages, insurance policy limits, and more. Additionally, Wisconsin follows a modified comparative negligence rule of law. This means you may recover damages only if you are less than 50 percent at fault for your injuries.
Because the laws and procedures are so complex, you need to have an attorney review your case and help you determine how much compensation you could receive.
How Much Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Cost?
Most personal injury attorneys, like ours at Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers, work on a contingency fee basis. This means we won’t charge anything upfront to represent you, and we only accept a fee if we recover compensation for you. Our law firm also offers free consultations, so you have nothing to risk by contacting us to have a lawyer evaluate your claim.
Why Do I Need a Madison Personal Injury Attorney?
A personal injury attorney can seek compensation for the injuries someone else caused you or your family if an accident caused the death of a loved one.
Partnering with a personal injury lawyer offers many benefits, including:
- Legal knowledge and experience. Our personal injury lawyers know how to handle cases like yours. We have a deep understanding of personal injury laws, legal procedures, and the defense tactics insurance companies use. Our knowledge and experience can help you navigate the complexities of your case.
- Protecting your rights. Our personal injury attorneys are your advocates. We will protect your rights throughout the legal process. We will ensure that you are treated fairly, that your voice is heard, and that you receive the compensation you deserve.
- Case evaluation and strategy. A skilled injury attorney can evaluate your case, including liability, damages, and potential avenues for compensation. They can help you understand the strengths and weaknesses of your case and develop a strategic approach to maximize your chances of a favorable outcome.
- Investigating and gathering evidence. Personal injury attorneys have the resources and networks to conduct thorough investigations into your accident. They can gather evidence, interview witnesses, and work with experts to build a strong case for you.
- Negotiating with insurance companies. Insurance companies often hire teams of adjusters and lawyers to minimize the amount they pay out. A personal injury attorney can handle all communication and negotiations with the insurance company, advocating for you and fighting for fair compensation.
- Litigation representation. If the insurance company fails to offer a fair settlement through negotiations, an attorney can file a lawsuit and represent you in court. They will handle all legal aspects, present your case, and advocate for your rights before a judge and jury.
- Maximizing compensation. Personal injury attorneys have experience assessing the value of your claim and can seek maximum compensation for your injuries, medical expenses, lost income, pain and suffering, and other damages you deserve.
- Peace of mind. Having a personal injury attorney allows you to focus on your recovery while they handle the legal aspects of your case.
Contact an Experienced Madison Personal Injury Attorney Today
A serious personal injury in Madison can severely affect your life and future. You shouldn’t have to bear the costs of your injuries and losses if someone else caused your suffering. We'll help you recover every penny of the compensation you deserve.
Contact the experienced Madison personal injury attorneys at Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers today for your free consultation. You can contact us online or by phone at (608) 467-0429.