Our Experienced Madison Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Can Get the Compensation You Deserve
Many people in Madison enjoy riding motorcycles, particularly in the summer. Motorcycles offer riders a sense of freedom and economical transportation. However, motorcyclists often sustain severe injuries in motorcycle accidents due to the lack of enclosures and other safety mechanisms that offer little to no protection from collisions and the road’s surface.
If you suffered injuries or lost a close family member in a motorcycle accident someone else caused, you could hold the responsible parties accountable and get compensation to cover your medical bills, lost income, and other related expenses.
You need an experienced attorney to file a motorcycle accident injury claim and pursue compensation.
The Madison motorcycle injury attorneys at Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers are here for you during this challenging time.
Our attorneys have decades of experience helping injured clients throughout our region with their complex injury claims, and we will review your case at no cost and advise you of your options. You can also count on us to fight for your rights and future. Contact us today for your free consultation.
- Our Experienced Madison Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Can Get the Compensation You Deserve
- Why Choose Nicolet Law for Your Madison Motorcycle Accident Injury Claim?
- Madison Motorcycle Accidents: The Facts
- What Causes Motorcycle Accidents in Madison?
- What Injuries Can Motorcyclists Sustain in a Motorcycle Accident?
- How Do I Get Compensation for My Motorcycle Accident Injuries?
- What Compensation Can I Receive After a Madison Motorcycle Accident?
- Madison Motorcycle Accident Attorney FAQs
- Contact an Experienced Madison Motorcycle Accident Attorney Today
Why Choose Nicolet Law for Your Madison Motorcycle Accident Injury Claim?
When seeking compensation for the injuries you sustained in a motorcycle accident, you want to choose the right attorney for your case.
Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers has served our area for more than 15 years. During that time, we have gained a reputation for delivering personalized, assertive representation that gets results.
Other areas we feel set our law firm apart include:
- Award-winning service. Our lawyers have earned consistent top rankings and endorsements from our peers, along with many awards and honors for our impeccable professionalism and outstanding legal abilities. We have also received numerous five-star client reviews for our stellar client service.
- Committed to your needs. Our compassionate attorneys understand what you are going through, and we are here to help you get through this difficult and uncertain time in your life. You can rely on us for impassioned advocacy each step of the way, and we will support you and your family as much as we can.
- Accessible when you need us. You will likely have many questions as we pursue compensation for you, and you want regular updates about your case. You can reach out to our attorneys any time for prompt answers to your questions, and we foster open communication with our clients so you can rest assured you have a dedicated legal resource available when you need it.
- Focused on winning. Our lawyers are tenacious negotiators and fierce litigators who aggressively pursue the maximum compensation possible for our clients. We will help you identify and calculate the compensation you need to cover your injuries and losses, both now and in the future. You do not want to walk away leaving money on the table, and you can count on us to work diligently to help you get all of the compensation you deserve.
Our law firm offers free consultations, and our attorneys work on a contingency fee basis. You won’t pay us anything to review your claim and represent you, and we only accept a fee if we recover compensation through a settlement or win your case at trial.
Contact Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers today to start the process so you can get the money you need to help with your physical recovery.
Madison Motorcycle Accidents: The Facts
On average, Wisconsin sees more than 2,000 motorcycle accidents each year. Of those, more than 1,800 resulted in injuries, 521 of them serious injuries. Also, approximately 80 people die each year in motorcycle accidents throughout the state.
Madison reported 40 motorcycle crashes in a recent year, with 35 total injuries and four fatalities.
The North Broom Street and West Gilman Street intersection saw the most motorcycle accidents in one recent year.
Other areas in Madison that saw too many motorcycle accidents include:
- Northport Drive and Troy Drive
- Thackeray Road
- Marathon Drive and South Whitney Way
Of course, motorcycle accidents can occur anywhere throughout Madison, and you should contact our attorneys as soon as possible if you or a loved one suffered severe injuries in a crash caused by a negligent motorist.
What Causes Motorcycle Accidents in Madison?
Some of the most common reasons for motorcycle accidents in Madison include:
- Lack of visibility. Motorcycles are smaller and less visible than passenger cars, making them more vulnerable to accidents caused by drivers who fail to see them. This can occur when drivers change lanes without checking their blind spots or fail to notice motorcycles at intersections.
- Left-turn collisions. Collisions can occur when a vehicle turns left at an intersection or into a driveway without yielding to an oncoming motorcyclist. These accidents often happen because the driver fails to see the motorcycle or misjudges its speed.
- Distracted driving. A leading cause of motorcycle accidents is distracted driving. When drivers text, talk on the phone, eat, or use in-car technologies, their attention leaves the road, increasing the risk of colliding with motorcycles.
- Speeding and reckless driving. Excessive speed and reckless driving contribute to motorcycle accidents. When vehicle drivers travel at high speeds or engage in reckless maneuvers such as weaving in and out of traffic, they increase the likelihood of losing control or colliding with other vehicles.
- Intoxication. Alcohol or drug impairment endangers motorcyclists. Impaired drivers suffer from reduced reaction times and impaired judgment, which can lead to catastrophic accidents involving motorcycles.
- Road conditions. Poor road conditions, such as potholes, uneven surfaces, or debris can pose a significant danger to motorcyclists. Motorcycles are more susceptible to losing control on slippery or uneven surfaces, increasing the risk of accidents.
Other common causes of motorcycle accidents include inexperienced drivers and driving inappropriately in inclement weather.
In some cases, a defective component on a motorcycle can fail and cause the operator to lose control and crash. In this case, you may pursue compensation from the product’s manufacturer and others in the product delivery chain.
No matter the cause, consult our attorneys immediately to discuss whether you can pursue compensation for another party’s negligence.
What Injuries Can Motorcyclists Sustain in a Motorcycle Accident?
Motorcycle accidents cause severe injuries to riders because motorcycles do not have seatbelts or airbags, nor do they have doors, side panels, and roofs. Since motorcycles expose riders and do not restrain them with seatbelts, they can sustain injuries from the collision impact and from striking and sliding along the road.
Some common serious injuries we help motorcyclists obtain compensation for include:
- Head and brain injuries. Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) are a significant concern for motorcyclists. Even motorcyclists who wear helmets can sustain head injuries ranging from concussions to severe brain trauma. Any head or brain injury can have long-lasting effects on cognitive abilities, motor skills, and overall quality of life.
- Spinal cord injuries. Motorcycle accidents can result in paralysis or loss of sensation in the body. These injuries can permanently affect mobility and require lifelong medical care.
- Broken bones. A motorcycle accident can fracture bones in the arms, legs, wrists, and ankles. Depending on the severity of the injury, fractures may require surgery, immobilization, and extensive rehabilitation.
- Road rash. Road rash refers to the abrasions and lacerations that occur when a motorcyclist's skin slides across the road during an accident. Road rash can vary from mild to severe, resulting in infections, permanent scarring, and disfigurement.
- Soft tissue injuries. Motorcyclists can suffer from soft tissue injuries, such as contusions, sprains, strains, and deep bruising. These injuries can cause pain, swelling, and restricted movement, often requiring medical treatment and physical therapy.
- Internal injuries. A motorcycle accident can cause internal injuries, such as organ damage, internal bleeding, or punctured lungs. Internal injuries may not immediately appear, but you need prompt medical attention to identify and treat them.
- Emotional trauma. Motorcycle accidents can also result in emotional trauma, including post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, depression, and other psychological disorders. These emotional and mental health challenges can have a long-lasting impact on a person's well-being and require appropriate support and treatment.
The severity of injuries can depend on the speed of the accident, the point of impact, the use of safety gear, and the motorcyclist's overall health and physical condition. Appropriate safety gear (such as helmets and protective clothing) and riding with caution can reduce the risk of severe injuries in motorcycle accidents. Still, it can only do so much against a negligent or reckless driver.
Reach out to an attorney and discuss your case as soon as possible to learn your options for getting compensation for your motorcycle accident injuries.
How Do I Get Compensation for My Motorcycle Accident Injuries?
You must show that you sustained injuries due to a negligent driver to obtain compensation for your motorcycle accident injuries. You need prompt medical treatment, even if you do not feel your injuries are severe. You need a record of receiving treatment to prove you suffered injuries to file a claim.
As soon as you can after the crash, contact our motorcycle accident attorneys in Madison. Our lawyers will have the legal knowledge and experience to assess your claim and determine whether you can seek compensation. If you have a viable claim, our lawyers can gather the necessary evidence to prove the other driver’s liability for your injuries.
Your attorney may need to collect:
- Your medical records and treatments
- Your medical bills and other associated out-of-pocket costs
- The official police or accident report
- Eyewitness testimony
- Photographs and videos of the accident scene
- Photographs of your injuries and motorcycle damage
After gathering evidence, your attorney may first file an injury claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company to seek a settlement. If the insurer offers you a low settlement that will not cover your injuries, your lawyer can negotiate to get more.
Your attorney can also wrangle with the insurance company to get them to honor all aspects of the policy and pay you what you deserve for your injuries if they refute your claim.
If negotiations break down because the insurance company refuses to settle your claim outside of court, your lawyer may have to file suit against the at-fault party to get the money you need.
What Compensation Can I Receive After a Madison Motorcycle Accident?
After successfully navigating a personal injury claim, you may receive compensation for:
- Medical expenses. You could obtain compensation for past, current, and future medical bills related to your accident, such as emergency room treatment, hospitalization, surgeries, doctor visits, medications, rehabilitation, therapy, and assistive devices.
- Lost income. If your injuries caused you to miss work, you may receive compensation for your lost income. This includes past losses and future lost earning capacity due to the accident.
- Property damage. You could obtain compensation to replace or repair your motorcycle following the crash.
- Pain and suffering. You can pursue compensation for the pain, suffering, and emotional distress the accident and your injuries caused. These subjective damages consider your physical pain, mental anguish, loss of enjoyment of life, and other non-economic factors.
- Loss of consortium. If the accident significantly affected your relationship with your spouse or partner, they may claim compensation for the loss of companionship, affection, or support.
- Rehabilitation and therapy. You may seek compensation if you require ongoing rehabilitation or therapy due to your injuries.
- Punitive damages. In rare cases involving a particularly reckless or intentional act by an at-fault party, you may receive punitive damages from the court if your case goes to trial. Punitive damages punish the responsible party and deter similar conduct.
Wisconsin follows a comparative negligence system, which means the compensation you receive may decrease if you partially contributed to the accident. A personal injury attorney experienced in motorcycle accidents can explain your rights and maximize the compensation you receive. An attorney will assess your case, help gather evidence, negotiate with insurance companies, and advocate for you throughout the process.
Madison Motorcycle Accident Attorney FAQs
How Long Do I Have to Sue the at-Fault Driver for My Motorcycle Accident Injuries in Wisconsin?
Wisconsin’s statute of limitations for personal injury allows injured parties three years from their injury to file a lawsuit in civil court. If you wait too long and miss the deadline, you will probably not recover compensation, so contact an attorney and get started as soon as possible.
How Can a Motorcycle Attorney Benefit Me?
An experienced motorcycle attorney offers many benefits as you seek compensation for your motorcycle accident injuries.
The attorneys at Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers can assist you in several ways, including:
- Providing legal knowledge. Our motorcycle attorneys have in-depth knowledge of Wisconsin’s personal injury laws, including those involving motorcycle accidents. We understand the legal procedures specific to motorcycle accidents in the state, and we can help you navigate the complexities of your case and protect your rights.
- Evaluating your claim. A motorcycle attorney from Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers will evaluate your case, including the accident circumstances, injuries, and available evidence. They will provide an objective assessment of the strengths and weaknesses of your case, explaining the potential outcomes and compensation you could receive.
- Gathering evidence. A motorcycle accident attorney from our office can thoroughly investigate to gather crucial evidence to support your claim. They may interview witnesses, collect accident reports, obtain medical records, and consult with accident reconstruction experts if necessary. By gathering strong evidence, they can build a persuasive case for you.
- Negotiating with insurance companies. Insurance adjusters may undervalue your claim or deny liability altogether. A motorcycle attorney can handle all communications and negotiations with the insurance company for you. They will advocate for you and seek fair compensation for your injuries, taking into account medical expenses, lost income, pain and suffering, and other damages.
- Building a strong case. Our motorcycle attorneys know how to develop a comprehensive legal strategy tailored to your case. They will use their knowledge and experience to strengthen your claim, present evidence effectively, and demonstrate liability. We can prepare all the legal documents, file the necessary paperwork, and adhere to strict deadlines.
- Representing you in court. While many personal injury cases settle outside court, some may require litigation. If your case goes to trial, a motorcycle attorney will provide skilled representation, presenting your case before a judge and jury. They will argue on your behalf, cross-examine witnesses, and present evidence to support your claim, striving to achieve a favorable outcome.
Having a motorcycle attorney by your side provides peace of mind, knowing that you have a dedicated legal professional handling your case. Our attorneys can answer your questions and provide support, allowing you to focus on your recovery and sparing you from the stressful and overwhelming legal process.
How Much Does a Motorcycle Accident Attorney Cost?
At Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers, we don’t charge anything upfront to represent our injured clients, nor will we bill you for fees along the way. We will review your case for free and determine if you have a valid claim. If we feel you can recover damages, we will represent you throughout the process, and we will only accept a fee if we successfully negotiate a settlement or win your case at trial.
Contact an Experienced Madison Motorcycle Accident Attorney Today
You need experienced representation from a Madison personal injury attorneys to get the compensation you deserve. The attorneys at Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers have the skills and resources to handle your claim efficiently and increase your odds of obtaining the most favorable outcomes possible.
Contact the experienced Madison motorcycle accident attorneys today for a free consultation at (608) 467-0429.