As Wisconsin’s capital, Madison is a bustling city with a lot to offer both visitors and residents. However, at any time, you could slip, trip, and fall in a store, at a restaurant, or on the sidewalk outside a business or someone’s home.
A slip and fall accident can cause serious injuries that require extensive medical treatments that cost more than you can afford in money and the inconvenience and disruption to your life.
If a property owner’s negligence led to your slip and fall accident in Madison, you may recover damages from those responsible.
Reach out to our experienced Madison slip and fall attorneys for advice about your options and assistance pursuing the compensation you need. Contact Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers today for your free consultation.
- Why Choose Nicolet Law for Your Madison Slip and Fall Accident Injury Claim?
- What Causes Slip and Fall Accidents in Madison?
- What Injuries Can Slip and Fall Accidents Cause?
- How Do I Obtain Compensation for Slip and Fall Injuries?
- Madison Slip and Fall Accident Attorney FAQs
- Contact an Experienced Madison Slip and Fall Accident Attorney Today
Why Choose Nicolet Law for Your Madison Slip and Fall Accident Injury Claim?
Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers is a family-run law firm that has served injured clients throughout Wisconsin since 2007. During that time, our attorneys have recovered more than $55 million in verdicts and settlements for our clients, and we promise to work hard to help you obtain the maximum financial recovery possible.
We have achieved success by caring for our clients and delivering personalized, compassionate, and aggressive legal representation each step of the way. Our attorneys have received national recognition for our outstanding professionalism and client service, and we continually focus on improving to offer top-tier legal representation to our clients.
Our lawyers have received many five-star reviews and compelling testimonials from our satisfied clients, and we are proud to have helped so many in our communities in their times of need. Contact us today to see how we can help you get the full compensation you deserve for your Madison slip and fall accident injuries.
What Causes Slip and Fall Accidents in Madison?
Slip and fall accidents can occur anywhere throughout Madison for a variety of reasons.
Some common causes of slip and fall accidents in the city include:
- Weather: Madison receives around 50 inches of snow and ice each winter. All property owners must maintain the sidewalks and walking areas around their homes and businesses and clear snow and ice when it accumulates. Negligent property owners who don’t keep their premises safe for pedestrians may bear liability for any slip and fall injuries people sustain as a result.
- Wet or slippery floors: Spills, freshly mopped floors, or rain can create slippery surfaces, increasing the risk of slips and falls. You could slip and fall on a spill or wet floor and suffer injuries at Woodman’s Food Market, Menards, or any store in Madison. If the store owner knew of the hazard but did not clean it or place warning signs around it, you could hold the store owner accountable.
- Uneven or damaged surfaces: Cracked sidewalks, potholes, uneven flooring, loose tiles, or damaged carpets can cause you to trip and fall. The City of Madison and all residential and commercial property owners in the city must repair or replace damaged walking surfaces to keep visitors and pedestrians safe.
- Insufficient lighting: Poorly lit areas can make potential hazards or changes in surface levels difficult to see, leading to trips and falls. Parking garages, parking lots, and stairwells are common locations for slip and fall accidents resulting from poor lighting.
- Cluttered walkways: Objects or obstacles left in walkways, such as cords, boxes, or misplaced furniture, can pose tripping hazards. You could be in Costco, The Home Depot, or another retail outlet and trip over a pallet of goods or other products lying in the aisle.
- Lack of handrails or guardrails: Property owners should install handrails or guardrails on stairs, ramps, or elevated areas to reduce the risk of falls. If you fall and suffer injuries because of the absence of handrails or guardrails, or the owner didn’t install those items properly and they gave way when you leaned on them, you could seek compensation from the property owner.
- Construction or renovation sites: Madison sees constant construction. Work areas with debris, unfinished surfaces, or inadequate safety measures can pose significant risks for slip and fall accidents.
- Escalators and elevators: Malfunctioning escalators or elevators can cause sudden stops or unsteady movements, resulting in falls.
Other factors can lead to slip and fall accidents in Madison as well, so reach out to an attorney right away if you slipped, tripped, or fell on someone else’s property to discuss your options for pursuing compensation.
What Injuries Can Slip and Fall Accidents Cause?
Slip and fall accidents can result in a wide range of injuries that can vary in severity depending on the height of the fall, the surface involved, and the individual's age and overall health.
Here are some common slip and fall injuries:
- Fractures and broken bones: Slips and falls often lead to fractures, most commonly affecting the wrists, arms, ankles, hips, and spine.
- Sprains and strains: Twisting or overextending joints during a fall can sprain (ligament injuries) or strain (muscle or tendon injuries) ankles and wrists.
- Head injuries: Falls can result in head injuries, concussions, and traumatic brain injuries (TBIs). These injuries can have long-lasting effects on cognitive function and overall well-being.
- Back and spinal cord injuries: Falling on the back can cause spinal cord injuries, leading to partial or complete paralysis, loss of sensation, or impaired bodily functions.
- Cuts, bruises, and abrasions: Impact with sharp objects or hard surfaces can cause cuts, bruises, abrasions, or lacerations. These injuries may require medical attention.
- Soft tissue injuries: Falls can result in soft tissue injuries, such as contusions (bruises), hematomas (blood pooling), or deep tissue damage, which can lead to pain, swelling, and limited mobility.
- Dislocations: Awkward falls or impacts can dislocate joints, most commonly in shoulders, hips, or knees. Dislocations require immediate medical attention to reset the joint.
- Spinal disc injuries: Falls can herniate or rupture spinal discs, resulting in pain, numbness, or tingling in the affected area.
Along with physical injuries, slip and fall accidents can cause emotional and psychological trauma, such as anxiety, depression, or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
Seek prompt medical attention after a slip and fall accident, even if injuries seem minor at first, as some symptoms may take time to develop or worsen.
As soon as possible after receiving treatment for your slip and fall injuries, contact a Madison slip and fall attorney for a free consultation concerning your rights and options for recovering damages.
How Do I Obtain Compensation for Slip and Fall Injuries?
Obtaining compensation for slip and fall injuries typically involves taking legal action against the responsible party.
Here are some steps you should take:
- Seek immediate medical attention: Make your health and well-being your top priority. Get medical treatment for your injuries as soon as possible. This will not only ensure your well-being but will also create a record of your injuries and their connection to the slip and fall incident.
- Report the incident: Report the slip and fall accident to the property owner, manager, or supervisor, depending on the location where the incident occurred. Request a copy of the incident report for your records.
- Document the scene: If you can, take photos or videos of the accident scene, including the hazardous condition that caused your fall. Capture any visible injuries as well. Additionally, gather contact information from any witnesses of the incident.
- Preserve evidence: Keep any physical evidence related to your slip and fall, such as torn clothing, damaged footwear, or any objects that contributed to the accident. These items may support your claim.
Consult Our Madison Slip and Fall Attorneys
Contact our Madison personal injury attorneys as soon as you can following the accident. Our lawyer can provide experienced guidance on the legal process and help protect your rights in your slip and fall case.
The personal injury attorneys at Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers offer free initial consultations to evaluate your case.
If you have a viable claim, our attorney can assist with all aspects of the claims process, including:
- Filing an insurance claim: An attorney can gather the necessary evidence to support your claim and file all the paperwork with the insurance company so you don’t have to worry about it. Your lawyer will provide the insurer with a detailed account of the incident, your injuries, and the damages you seek, and they can handle all communications with the insurance company to reduce your stress and mitigate the chances you say something to the insurer that they can use to deny your claim. If the insurance company tries to contact you to get a statement or information, refer them to your attorney.
- Documenting your injuries and losses: Your lawyer can help you collect records of your medical treatment, including doctor visits, prescriptions, and therapy sessions. You should also provide your lawyer with any documentation of lost income, out-of-pocket expenses, and other damages resulting from the slip and fall accident.
- Negotiating a settlement: Your attorney may engage in settlement negotiations with the responsible party or their insurance company for you. They will work to achieve a fair settlement that compensates you for your injuries and losses.
- Legal action: If the other party refuses to settle your claim, your attorney may recommend filing a lawsuit against them. Your lawyer will guide you through the legal process, represent your interests, and advocate on your behalf in court.
The specific legal procedures and requirements for your claim may vary depending on your jurisdiction and the circumstances of your case. Consult our qualified attorneys, and we can provide personalized advice based on your situation.
Madison Slip and Fall Accident Attorney FAQs
How Long Do I Have to File a Slip and Fall Injury Lawsuit in Wisconsin?
Wisconsin allows you three years from your injury to file a lawsuit in civil court. If you wait too long and do not have an attorney file your claim within that time frame, you may sabotage your chances of obtaining compensation. Certain exceptions can extend or reduce the deadline to file your claim, so contact our slip and fall accident attorneys immediately to discuss your options.
What Compensation Can I Receive for Slip and Fall Injuries?
If your lawyer can show a negligent property owner failed to keep their premises safe and you suffered injuries in a fall on their property, your attorney can recover damages that include payments for:
- Medical bills and treatment costs, including future medical expenses
- Lost income, work benefits, tips and commissions, and even loss of future earning capacity if your injuries disable you
- Property damage for any personal property damaged or destroyed in the accident
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
You may recover other compensation as well depending on the severity of your injuries and other factors. An attorney can accurately determine and calculate the types and amounts of damages you may pursue.
How Much Does a Slip and Fall Accident Attorney Cost?
In addition to offering free consultations, our personal injury attorneys work on a contingency fee basis, so you won’t have to pay a retainer upfront or pay the attorney by the hour as we work on your case. Our attorneys will only accept a percentage of the damages we recover for you through either a settlement or court award.
The Madison personal injury attorneys at Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers will review your claim at no cost, and we will carefully explain our contingency fee model to you before you sign a contract. We know you are in a bad place right now, and we want to help you get the quality and effective legal counsel you need without your having to worry about the cost.
Contact an Experienced Madison Slip and Fall Accident Attorney Today
You have no financial risks in contacting Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers and discussing your Madison slip and fall injury claim with us, and our attorneys can help increase your chances of getting the maximum compensation possible. To begin, contact us today for a free consultation at (608) 467-0429.