An injury caused because of the negligence of another person does not just leave you with significant physical pain. You may also struggle with medical bills that seem to keep climbing higher, lost income related to your accident, and emotional challenges. When someone else causes your accident, you may have the right to compensation for your injuries.
However, many accident victims find it difficult to navigate the claim process, including dealing with the liable party's insurance company as they fight to receive reasonable compensation and justice for their losses.
At Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers, we understand the difficulties often accompanying accident claims. Contact a North Dakota personal injury lawyer to learn how we can help you recover compensation after a North Dakota accident.
Get Help From Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers for Your North Dakota Personal Injury Claim
If you suffered injuries in an accident caused by another party’s negligence, you might deserve substantial compensation for those losses.
At Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers, we offer support to victims of many types of accidents, from car and truck accidents to product liability accidents and more.
Our Award-Winning Lawyers Have Successfully Handled Many Past Injury Claims
Our team of experienced injury lawyers has successfully recovered $2,600,000 through a jury verdict for a client injured in Menards in Minnesota and a $1,117,000 settlement for a woman injured in an auto accident in Wisconsin, among our other high-dollar claims.
We strive to help our clients recover fair and reasonable compensation for the injuries that may have gone along with their accidents. While we cannot guarantee the results of any claim, we can provide our clients with comprehensive assistance to make it easier for them to successfully navigate the claim process.
We Do Not Get Paid Unless We Win
Finances often serve as a serious barrier to injury claims. At Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers, we start with a free consultation to get a deeper insight into the injuries you sustained and who likely caused your accident. Then, we accept our cases for a contingent fee—our clients do not pay unless we win. For many accident victims, that makes the injury claim process much more affordable, increasing the odds that they will get the results they deserve.
Winning Is What We Do
At Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers, we do not back down when things get difficult, including when the insurance company aggressively fights against your claim. Instead, we dig in with high motivation and commitment as we fight to help our clients get the results they need and deserve after a serious accident.
Did you suffer injuries in an accident in North Dakota? Contact Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers today to discuss your right to compensation.
Common North Dakota Personal Injury Claims
You may have grounds to file a personal injury claim if another party’s negligent or reckless actions cause you injury.
Generally, an attorney will ask several questions before proceeding with an injury claim.
- Who bore a duty of care to you at the time of the accident? A duty of care includes any duty to help protect you from suffering harm. For example, an employer may bear a high duty of care to its employees.
- How did the liable party violate that duty of care? A driver, for example, might violate the duty of care by taking his attention away from the road while driving.
- Did the accident occur because the other party violated the duty of care? If the other party failed to take proper care of others around him, but it did not result in an accident, that party might not bear liability for the accident. On the other hand, if the other party's duty of care violation contributed directly to the accident, that party might bear liability for the damages they caused.
- Did you suffer injuries because of the incident? If you did not suffer injuries in the incident, even if you may have had the potential to sustain significant injuries, you likely would not have the right to file an injury claim.
North Dakota sees many common injury claims.
Car Accident Claims
Car accidents often top the list of injury claims across North Dakota. Every year, 14,000 to 18,000 car crashes occur in North Dakota. An estimated 4,000-5,000 people sustain injuries in those crashes. Car accidents can occur for various reasons, including driver distraction or inebriation or a driver failing to follow the rules of the road, including speeding or engaging in reckless driving behaviors.
Truck Accident Claims
Each year, North Dakota sees around 136 fatal truck accidents. Big trucks commonly move through North Dakota, making them a familiar sight on the roads. Those trucks are vital in delivering goods, from groceries to recreational items, nationwide. However, many people can end up seriously injured due to North Dakota truck crashes due to the large size of the truck and the greater difficulty the driver may have in avoiding a potential accident.
Motorcycle Accident Claims
Biking across North Dakota offers a great deal of convenience and freedom. North Dakota law only requires drivers and passengers under 18, or passengers on a motorcycle driven by someone under 18, to wear a motorcycle helmet when they take to the road. However, failure to wear a motorcycle helmet can substantially increase the risk of a devastating injury in a motorcycle crash, significantly raising the risk of traumatic brain injury.
Dog Bite Claims
North Dakota law allows dog bite victims to pursue a claim if the dog owner had reason to know that the dog had a history of vicious behavior but failed to properly restrain the dog. Dog bites can cause significant complications and pain, making it necessary for many victims to pursue compensation for the damages associated with those injuries.
Product Liability Claims
When you buy a product, you expect it to perform as intended without substantial complications. Defective products, including products with unsafe manufacturing practices, can lead to significant injury for the users. If you suffer injuries due to a defective product incident, you may need a lawyer to help you learn how you can best pursue compensation for those losses.
North Dakota Accident StatisticsSource: visionzero.nd.gov
Compensation After an Accident in North Dakota
If you need to file an injury claim after an accident in North Dakota, you may have many questions, including how much compensation you should reasonably expect after your accident. At Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers, we cannot guarantee the compensation you will recover.
Still, we can help you determine what compensation elements you should include in your claim and how you can best increase the odds that you will recover all the damages you need and deserve.
- Compensation for your medical costs. Ensure you include all bills you have already paid, including co-pays, deductibles, and future anticipated medical costs.
- Compensation for lost income as your injuries prevented you from working.
- Compensation for your pain and suffering.
Fighting the Insurance Company After an Accident in North Dakota
Most of the time, when you need to file an injury claim, you will not end up dealing with the liable party directly. You will often find yourself negotiating with the liable party’s insurance company. The insurance company may not make the claim process as easy as you might otherwise hope. Instead, the insurance company may fight to get you to reduce the compensation you will accept.
The insurance company may:
- Pressure you to accept a low settlement offer. That settlement offer will often not reflect the damages you sustained because of the accident.
- Insist that you did not really suffer the injuries you claimed during the accident.
- Deny liability for the accident, or pressure you to accept liability for the incident.
- Insist that you have limited your recovery in a way that should reduce the amount the company has to pay out.
Fighting the insurance company after a North Dakota accident frustrates many people. By working with Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers, however, you can get the experience and support you need to take on the insurance company with confidence.
North Dakota Personal Injury FAQ
Do I Need a Lawyer to Help With My North Dakota Personal Injury Claim?
If you suffered injuries in an accident due to the negligence of another party, you need a lawyer to determine what compensation you deserve and how you can best pursue it.
Your lawyer can:
- Account for all the losses you sustained because of the accident. An injury claim may include several compensation categories. Include all the damages you sustained to get just compensation for your losses.
- Collect evidence related to your accident. In many cases, you may need a lawyer to help establish all parties that likely contributed to your accident so that you can file a claim against them.
- Fight with the insurance company on your behalf. When an injury claim leads to unexpected complications or the insurance company fails to offer fair compensation, having a lawyer on your side can significantly increase the odds that you will recover reasonable damages for those losses.
Many injury victims discover that having a lawyer on their side significantly increases the compensation they can recover.
How Much Does Hiring a Lawyer to Handle a North Dakota Personal Injury Claim Cost?
We start with a free consultation at Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers. Then, we accept most claims on a contingent fee basis, meaning you will not have to pay until we win. As you consider the cost of hiring an attorney to help with your injury claim, make sure you also consider the potential cost of not having an attorney on your side. Many people find that trying to handle their accident claim without a lawyer leads to significantly reduced compensation and higher stress levels.
What Should I Do to Protect Myself After a Serious Accident in North Dakota?
If you suffer injuries in a North Dakota accident, pursue the medical treatment you may need and protect your right to compensation.
Make sure that you:
- Get in touch with a lawyer as soon after your accident as possible. A lawyer can provide vital advice about how to proceed with your claim, making navigating the challenges the insurance company may throw your way easier.
- Document all medical costs.
- Keep a journal that lays out the suffering you have faced on your road to recovery and the challenges that may have gone along with that process. Make a note of significant milestones and setbacks along the way.
- Avoid dealing with the insurance company directly. Instead, let your lawyer take on that vital task.
- Get a copy of any accident report and review it carefully to ensure it did not leave out any critical details.
- Keep up with your medical care needs. If you fail to follow the instructions your care provider issues concerning your accident and injuries, it could prevent you from getting the compensation you deserve for your injuries
Contact Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers Today
At Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers, we understand the difficulties that frequently arise after an accident and aim to help our clients confidently address those challenges. Contact us at 1-855-NICOLET to learn more about your rights.