Like many areas of Minnesota, Rochester is dog-friendly, allowing residents to own up to six dogs and providing a number of businesses, parks, and open space areas where visitors are welcome to bring their pets. However, in spite of the close connections that many Rochester residents and guests have with their dogs, there is a risk to other people of getting attacked by a dog both in residential and commercial settings, as well as on public streets, if an owner allows their pet to go unsupervised.
If you or your child has been bitten by a dog, a Rochester dog bite lawyer can help you understand the personal injury claims process that you can use to seek compensation for the expenses and impacts of your injury, as well as the services their legal team can offer to assist you with this process.
Why Choose Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers to Assist You With Your Dog Bite Claim
Combined, the personal injury attorneys at Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers have more than 100 years of experience assisting the injured in Minnesota. Our Rochester office is conveniently located so we can quickly investigate your claim and serve you.
Receiving legal services from a local law office means you have the opportunity for a face-to-face case evaluation and the peace of mind of knowing that your claim is being handled by people who know and understand the community where you live, the local courts, and even the facility where you receive your medical treatment. Contact us any time of the day or night to learn more about how we can help you with your case.
How Much is Your Rochester Dog Bite Claim Worth?
According to Moneywise, more than 300 people in Minnesota suffer dog bites severe enough to file a claim against the dog’s owner’s homeowners insurance policy in a year’s time. The average payout on these claims is more than $30,000. However, it is important to understand that, depending on several factors, your dog bite claim could be significantly more or less than that.
Some factors that can affect the value of a claim include:
- The severity of your injuries. More severe dog bite injuries or complications that can develop after the injury can result in more medical treatment, more lost time from work, and more psychological impacts, such as physical pain and suffering or mental distress.
- The amount of the dog’s owner liability coverage. As noted, homeowners policies are the most common source of compensation for dog bite claims. The Insurance Information Institute states that while most homeowners insurance policies will provide coverage for dog bites up to the limit of the policy, some insurers exclude coverage for certain breeds of dogs, or even for dogs who have previously caused injuries to people.
The Injuries that Can Occur Due to a Dog Bite in Rochester
Dog bites in Rochester can result in severe:
- Lacerations and deep puncture wounds.
- Damage to the eyes, nose, throat, or ears.
- Broken bones.
- Injuries to the head or neck.
Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers Will Fight the Insurance Company for the Compensation You Need
Minnesota, holds a dog’s owner strictly liable for compensating those their dog injured, even if the dog does not have a history of aggressive behavior. In spite of the clarity of this law, insurance companies will commonly try to pay as little as possible for dog bite claims. The legal team at Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers has the understanding and experience in handling dog bite claims to fight the insurance company for the compensation you need, whether that compensation is the result of a negotiated settlement with the insurer, or through litigation, if the insurer fails to pay the claim on their own.
What to Do If You Have Suffered a Dog Bite in Rochester
If you or your child have suffered a dog bite in Rochester, ensure the best opportunity for both physical and financial recovery and:
- Seek prompt medical treatment for your injuries. According to Cleveland Clinic, about one-half of all dog bites involve the transfer of dangerous bacteria into the open wound. This bacteria can result in a variety of potentially serious infections.
- Have an experienced Rochester dog bite lawyer from Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers evaluate your case. The evaluation is free and provides our attorney with the opportunity to explore with you the legal options for obtaining compensation for the expenses and impacts of your injury.
- Comply with your doctor’s treatment plan, as well as keeping copies of all injury-related bills and receipts. Other information that you can gather to assist with your claim includes notes about your condition provided by your doctor, photos of the injuries you incurred, and earnings loss information from your employer.
- Journal about the impacts of your injury, such as lost time from work, the inconvenience of frequent medical appointments, and the emotions you have experienced in response to your injury and your recovery.
As you recover from your injury, your legal team will gather documentation to prove your claim. They will manage communication with the dog owner’s insurance provider, aggressively advocating for a settlement offer that will fairly compensate you for the financial and psychological impacts of the injury.
Dog Bite Injury in Rochester? Contact Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers
Being bitten by a dog is typically a traumatic and painful experience. If the injuries are serious, they can result in significant impacts, including medical expenses, income loss, scarring, and emotional distress. An experienced dog bite lawyer from Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers is ready to help you with your claim at our Rochester office.
To learn more about the dog bite claims process in Rochester, obtain answers to the legal questions you have about your case, and understand how the legal team at Nicolet Law Accident & Injury Lawyers can help you get the compensation you need, contact us by calling (507) 577-5411, or by sending us a message online.