Wausau Personal Injury Lawyer
“It all happened in the blink of an eye.”
It’s a cliché but it has remained part of our vernacular because it is true; life truly can change – or even end – in the blink of an eye. This happens every day when people are involved in motor vehicle accidents, injured in falls or hurt at work. Accidents happen quickly, but the damage can be long-lasting in the form of lost earnings, crushing medical expenses, pain, and stress. People who have been hurt as a result of someone else’s negligence should not have to bear that burden.
Wausau Personal Injury Lawyers
Did you suffer serious injuries in an accident due to another party’s negligence somewhere in Wausau? You may find yourself living with lifelong consequences and a great deal of financial strain, especially as your medical bills start to mount. A personal injury claim can help you recover some of the funds you need to help rebuild your life or help pay for those mounting bills.
A Wausau personal injury lawyer can help you better understand your legal right to compensation. Contact Nicolet Law Office, SC today for a free consultation.
What You Need to Know About Nicolet Law Office, S.C.
Nicolet Law Office is a regional firm known as a premier resource for those facing financial distress following a personal injury. With 15 team members in nine locations throughout Wisconsin and Minnesota, we combine the resources and convenience of a large regional firm with the personalized service that you expect from a local attorney in Wausau.
Whether a from slip and fall, car accident, or other source of injury, we know how to handle complicated personal injury cases, and we know that each client is different and deserves a custom-tailored case plan. We know that if you’re injured or facing financial difficulty, you should only have to think about getting better, and being there for your family. We take care of all the complexities of a Wausau personal injury claim, so you can focus on your life and your loved ones.
We Make People Whole After Terrible Accidents
The dedicated Wausau personal injury attorneys at Nicolet Law Office, S.C. boast decades of combined experience representing injured clients. We’ve recovered over $34 million in compensation for our clients, and look forward to the chance to see how we can help you and your loved ones.
Some of our past clients include:
- A woman who slipped on ice outside a gas station turned to Nicolet Law Office, S.C., for help. We found that not only had the gas station failed to remove or remedy the icy conditions, but it had also violated a safety standard requiring vehicle stops to not be placed in pedestrian walkways. We made sure our client got the settlement she deserved, but also partnered with a local attorney to craft a special needs trust that would allow the client to receive a large settlement while also maintaining her SSI benefits.
- A client was seriously injured by a co-worker who was driving recklessly. Drawing on his understanding of personal injury law, attorney Russell Nicolet recovered the client the full policy limit ($250,000) from the insurance carrier. We prevented the client’s workers’ compensation carrier to take more than a small portion of the settlement. This left plenty of compensation to help our client recover and move forward in life.
- A woman hit by a vehicle while crossing the street at a crosswalk was offered a measly settlement that did not even cover her medical bills or wage loss. After choosing us to represent her, the insurance company ended up paying the client’s medical bills, wage loss, and she got significant money in her pocket for her pain-and-suffering.
While no attorney can guarantee the results in any particular case, rest assured that the passionate team at Nicolet Law Office, S.C. draws on our deep well of experience to pursue the best possible outcome in every client’s claim. For more examples of our past success, consider some more of our past case results.
Wausau Personal Injury Claims: The Basics
Any time another party caused your injuries due to negligence, you may have the right to file a personal injury claim.
Nicolet Law Office, SC has handled many types of personal injury claims in the past, including:
- Motor-vehicle accident claims. From accidents with big trucks to accidents with the driver of a personal vehicle, or even motorcycles, ATVs, and snowmobiles, and vehicle accidents can leave you with substantial, long-term injuries.
- Burn injuries. Not only do burns cause immense physical pain, they can leave the victim with lifelong scarring and disfigurement.
- Dog bites. If another person’s dog attacks you, you may end up with severe lacerations, crushing damage, and a high risk of infection.
- Nursing home abuse. Nursing home negligence and abuse impact all too many seniors across the country each year, leading to a substantial decline in overall health.
- Slip and fall accidents. A slip and fall accident often occurs in the blink of an eye, when you least expect it, and can result in spinal cord injuries, traumatic brain injury, and more.
While any type of injury may give you grounds for a personal injury claim, common injuries we’ve encountered in Wausau may include:
- Severe lacerations
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones, especially multiple broken bones
Consult an experienced Wausau personal injury attorney today to learn more about what compensation you can seek following severe injuries.
A Wausau Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help
If you suffered severe injuries in an accident in Wausau due to the negligence of another party, an experienced personal injury attorney can help you seek the compensation you deserve for those injuries.
Our experienced personal injury attorneys can:
- Seek evidence related to your claim
- Help build your case
- Negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf
- Provide you with a strong look at the compensation you really deserve
- Present your claim in court, if needed
Start with your free consultation today.
The Liable Party in a Personal Injury Claim
As your attorney begins the process of filing a personal injury claim on your behalf, he or she must first identify the party that caused your injuries.
You must prove that the party liable for your accident:
- Bore a duty of care to you at the time of the accident
- Violated that duty of care to you
- Caused your injuries through that violation
Your attorney may look at all the evidence related to your claim, including what events led up to your accident, what injuries you suffered, and how those injuries have impacted your life.
Claiming Compensation for an Injury
Many victims want to know: “How much compensation can I claim after a serious accident in Wausau?”
If another party caused your injuries, several elements might influence your claim.
- Who caused your accident? In many cases, the liable party will carry an insurance policy that will provide compensation for your injuries. The terms of that policy may limit the compensation you can receive for your accident. For example, many Wausau drivers carry only minimum liability insurance. Other parties, on the other hand, frequently carry higher-value policies that can provide additional compensation for the injuries you suffered.
- How much did your medical bills cost? Often, the insurance company will base the compensation you receive from your accident on the amount of your medical bills. Severe injuries, like spinal cord injuries and amputations, can lead to substantial, often ongoing medical expenses. More minor injuries like broken bones may carry a hefty initial price tag, but may not cost as much in the long run.
- How much time did you miss at work? For many victims of Wausau accidents, lost wages can cause just as much financial devastation as increasing medical expenses. You may have to miss work, not just in the immediate aftermath of your accident, but as you attend follow-up appointments or go to physical therapy.
Some injuries may limit your ability to perform your usual job duties. You may need to drop to part-time work temporarily, work from home on a limited basis, or change your hours to reflect your new limitations. Worse, some injuries can cause permanent disability that makes it impossible for you to return to work.
Your attorney will help evaluate these key categories and help you determine how much compensation you should expect. An attorney cannot provide you with a promise about how much compensation you will ultimately receive, but can give you a better idea of how much compensation to expect in a personal injury claim.
An attorney can also help you determine how to add in pain and suffering experienced as a result of your injuries, including both physical pain and emotional anguish related to your accident.
Wausau Personal Injury FAQ
If you have questions that pertain to your individual personal injury claim, contact our experienced Wausau personal injury attorneys as soon as possible to learn more. On the other hand, if you still want to get a better idea of what a personal injury claim might look like, take a look at the frequently asked questions below.
1. Can I file more than one Wausau personal injury claim for the same accident?
In general, you can file only a single personal injury claim against the party that caused your accident. However, if more than one party contributed to your accident, you can file a claim against each liable party.
Suppose, for example, that you suffered injuries in a car accident with a pizza delivery driver on a snowy day. Most local businesses closed down, but the restaurant chose to stay open. On investigation, your attorney discovers that the driver’s manager pressured him heavily to come into work, even threatening him with the loss of his job if he failed to come in despite the bad weather.
While the pizza delivery driver in that scenario bears liability for his actions behind the wheel, including the actions that led to the accident, the restaurant may also bear liability for the accident. An attorney can help you determine how to file a claim and who bears the majority of the liability for the accident.
2. Who pays my medical bills while I manage a Wausau personal injury claim?
The party that caused your accident may bear liability for many of your medical bills, but will not have to pay your medical care providers directly. Instead, the liable party, or that party’s insurance company, will issue a payment to you. You can then use the funds from your settlement or award to take care of your medical bills.
In the meantime, you can use your medical insurance to cover many of the expenses associated with your personal injury claim. Medical insurance can also prove vital in paying for your long-term medical expenses following severe injuries.
3. The liable party’s insurance company called me. Do I have to talk to them?
You may, at some point, need to make a statement about the events that led to the accident. However, you should talk to an experienced personal injury attorney before talking to the insurance company, if possible. In many cases, the insurance company will try to limit the compensation it has to offer for your injuries by providing you with a low initial settlement offer.
If you accept that offer, the insurance company need no longer make any further payment to you, which means you may not get the funds you really need for your personal injury claim.
4. I did not realize I suffered serious injuries immediately after the accident, but rather discovered them later. Can I still file a Wausau personal injury claim?
Yes. You have the right to file a personal injury claim any time another party’s actions cause severe injuries, even if you did not realize the full extent of your injuries immediately after your accident. However, it can prove more difficult to show exactly when your injuries occurred if you do not seek medical attention immediately after the accident.
The insurance company or the representatives of the liable party may try to prove that your injuries occurred at another time or that you did not suffer such severe injuries during the accident itself. Talk to an attorney to learn more about how to proceed with your claim when serious injuries crop up well after the initial accident.
5. Someone committed an act of negligence that could have resulted in serious injuries, but I escaped with only minor injuries: a few bumps and scrapes. Do I still have grounds for a Wausau personal injury claim?
In some cases, you may note a severe act of negligence on the part of someone who bears a duty of care to you, but escape with relatively minor injuries. Suppose, for example, that you notice a wet floor, but walk around it instead of slipping and falling. While the institution may have violated its duty of care to you, you may not have grounds for a personal injury claim because you did not suffer injury. Likewise, if you notice a speeding driver, but suffer no injury due to that driver’s actions, you cannot file a personal injury claim.
In some cases, you may, however, suffer severe property damage due to that negligence, even if you do not personally suffer serious injuries. You may, therefore, have grounds for a property damage claim, even if you did not suffer injury personally.
6. Will I have to go to court over my Wausau personal injury claim?
The majority of personal injury claims settle out of court. Going to court often substantially increases the cost associated with the claim for both sides, and most often, the insurance company will try to settle out of court if possible. Sometimes, however, you may have to take your claim to court to receive the full compensation you deserve.
Most often, personal injury claims go to court if you have to ask for a large settlement or award due to the extent of your injuries, or if liability gets called into question and you need to prove exactly how your accident occurred.
Having an experienced Wausau personal injury attorney on your side can prove vital if you have to take your claim to court. An attorney can present a compelling case for you, build evidence against the liable party, and help fight on your behalf.
7. What should I do if I suffer severe injuries due to someone else’s negligence?
The steps you take immediately after a serious accident can help protect you and your finances. First, make medical attention your top priority. A doctor’s exam can help you fully understand the injuries you suffered and increase the odds that you will make a full recovery. Many injuries may worsen quickly if not treated.
Next, make sure you report the accident. In a car accident, that might mean filing a report with the police. If you suffer an injury at work, that may mean going through the system put in place by your employer. Finally, make sure you contact a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. An attorney can help guide you through your personal injury claim and keep your rights at the forefront as you seek compensation.
Call Our Wausau Personal Injury Attorneys Today
With 20 team members in nine locations throughout Wisconsin and Minnesota, the Wausau personal injury lawyers at Nicolet Law Office strive to be more than just legal professionals in the communities we serve. As members of the Wausau community, we ensure that when an injured person hires Nicolet Law Office, S.C., they aren’t just treated as just another case file: They are family, and we aspire to achieve the best outcome possible.
If you need help after suffering a personal injury somewhere in Wausau, our passionate Wausau personal injury lawyers can help. For a free case evaluation, contact us online or by calling (715) 716-5092.
408 3rd Street
Wausau, WI 54403